Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Questions about acting

In this story, I ask people to play one of the main four characters. For many, this requires an effort - I've found that in SL most people want to play their own character. My opinion is that contributes to the feeling of disconnection and to the individualistic solipsism that makes most tentative stories fail. 

Here's me trying to convince Lydia of my point. I failed.

14:35]  Lidya Maven: oh i sure like long stories, and i do like them, my only prob is that i dont usually know when ill be online
[14:36]  Federico Perenti: yes, been fighting with this problem for years. Now I'm trying a new idea - wearable characters.
[14:37]  Lidya Maven: oh wearable characters?
[14:38]  Federico Perenti: There are 4 characters in the story - all pretty stereotyped - when you are online, you just choose one, read the last scene for that one, and continue from there if you like it (if not, you just create an alternative version of the story)
[14:42]  Lidya Maven: hmm i only see one problem in that,.. each person has a way to develop a character, me myself dont usually know where lidya goes , just follow the events,... dont know if maybe the person that 'continues' with my character  doesnt like what i did, or doesnt do what i feel my charcter would do,..
[14:47]  Federico Perenti: Of course. I was the same with my character - and in my main stories, I keep doing as you say. But the fact is - this attitude restricts greatly the chance to play. So I tried simpler chars and even found them a lot of fun. Imagine as if  Lydia would be an actress - interpreting a part - simpler than her "real" character.

No comments:

Post a Comment